Cape May County Real Estate Notes – Summer 2018
June 25, 2018
December 21, 2018

Cape May County Real Estate Notes – Autumn 2018

fall in cape may county


Labor Day is behind us so it’s time to move on the most relaxing time of the year in Cape May County. No more heat, no more humidity, plenty of weekend events to keep you busy. That’s fall here at the shore.

The past summer seemed to be one of weather extremes. We had a couple periods where we received about of week of rain. The rest of the time was nearly rainless, putting us right into drought conditions.

Most of the restaurants and attractions are still open – at least on weekends – with no more long lines. Daytime temperatures still hover in the upper 70s and the ocean water remains above 70 degrees. It’s a great season for a romantic getaway.

Enjoy autumn in Cape May County while you can. We all know that the cold weather will roll in after Thanksgiving and then our thoughts will focus on next summer.


We all seem to spend so much time here in the present that we have maybe forgotten about the past. Cape May County had a colorful history and the names of the towns reflect that.

So here are some of the past names of the towns.

Ocean City was Peck’s Beach. In present day Upper Township, Beesley’s Point was Goldin’ Point and Willet’s Point, Strathmere was Whale Beach, Petersburg was Littleworth, Greenfield was Sacktown and South Seaville was Cedar Grove and Gracetown.

Farther south, Ocean View was Gandytown, Clermont was Kate’s Corner and Cressetown, Swainton was Oceanville and Sigtown, Cape May Court House was Romney Marsh and Rio Grande was Nummytown and Hildreth.

On the islands, Avalon was Peermont, North Wildwood was Anglesea (okay, you knew that!) and Ottens, Wildwood was Holly Beach, Cape May was Cape Island, West Cape May was Eldredges and Cape May Point was Sea Grove.


If you’re a beachgoer, you probably noticed the impact of New Jersey’s no smoking on the beaches rule. It also applies to state parks. Seeing less cigarette butts and avoiding second hand smoke was popular with most.

There was a provision in Gov. Murphy’s bill that allowed towns to set aside up to 15% of the beach for smoking. Avalon, amongst others, has said “No thanks!” and will keep their beaches 100% smoke free.

Stone Harbor has taken the lead on banning single use plastics, such as bags, “to go” containers, and plastic utensils. Bravo!


In case you missed the memo, you now have to dial all 10 numbers when making a phone call in Cape May County. The new 640 area code made the assumption that everything local was 609 a mute point. The trend is already in effect in many parts of the country as the proliferation of cell phones and devices is using up the available numbers.


Cape May has made a concession to dog owners by extending the period of time dogs are allowed on the beach and Promenade. Adding a month now makes the legal period November 1 through April 30.

Dog owners lost the battle to allow all dogs on the Washington Street Mall. Council did agree to permit properly documented service dogs, however.


The New Jersey Department of Law and safety has awarded Cape May County $7.5 million to raise 38 primary residence homes above the flood elevation.

FEMA will pay about 90% of the cost, with the individual homeowners on the hook for the other 10%. The homes affected are on West Walnut Avenue in North Wildwood and Central and Asbury avenues in Ocean City.


Middle Township is submitting a grant application that would radically change the traffic flow in Cape May Court House.

The already controversial plan would make Mechanic Street one way going west from Route 9 to Magnolia Drive (the road to Acme). Hand Avenue would become one way going east to Route 9, with a traffic light at that intersection. Boyd Street, linking Mechanic and Hand, would remain two way.

With Mechanic Street allowing access to the Garden State Parkway south, many locals aren’t pleased with the one way aimed away from the GSP. And another traffic light on Route 9? Oh my!


It is a good time to get into the Cape May County real estate market. For sellers; prices are slightly increasing and demand is way up. You’ll be going to the bank before you know it.

For buyers; there is sufficient inventory so that family legacy you’ve always dreamed about is out there waiting for you to pull the trigger.


I love to talk about real estate and our island. I am always glad to share my insights, observations, and visions.

I am still involved in real estate 365 days a year. It’s my passion. I will gladly handle listing your property, give you a free market analysis, or show you a wide variety of properties that may suit your needs.

Stop by our office at 5602 New Jersey Avenue and chat. Or give me a call at 609-780-7131. I answer my phone 8am to 9pm EVERYDAY and you always get a real, live person. That’s service!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *